The Heifetz 25-Year Advent CalendarDay 15: 2009 - An All-Cello Concerto with Amit Peled
July 2, 2009: Wolfeboro, NH
Our visit to the 2009 Heifetz summer archives unearthed this gem that is sure to bring to smile: It features longtime Heifetz faculty cellist Amit Peled, accompanied by six of his top Heifetz 2009 students in a unique arrangement of Haydn’s effervescent (and exceedingly difficult!) Cello Concerto No. 1. Amit and his six-pack of sensational cellists – Dmitry Volkov, Antoinette Gan, Andrea Cassarubios, Tony Rymer, Yunjin Ro, and Colin Stokes – took the stage to close out the Gala Opening Concert of the 2009 season at Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, NH.
Today, there’s much to “cellobrate” that accomplishments of Amit Peled’s cello orchestra:
- Antoinette Gan has been a member of the Oregon Symphony since 2015.
- Tony Rymer has built a multi-continent touring career, playing throughout Europe in the fall of 2021, including a stint as principle guest cellist of the groundbreaking Chineke Orchestra in London.
- In addition to a regular number of concert engagements, Andrea Cassarubios is gaining increasing attention as a composer. Check out her fellow Heifetz Institute student (and now professional colleague) Thomas Mesa‘s 2021 performance of Andrea’s SEVEN for solo cello.
- Colin Stokes performs as a solo artist, improviser, composer and electronic musician with such ensembles as Symphoniacs, the contemporary classical ensemble Zohn Collective and the Bridge Arts Ensemble.
- Yunjin Ro continues both her academic and performance pursuits in southern Illinois, as a member of the Peoria Symphony and offering lecture-recitals on the music of avant-garde Finnish composer Kaija Saariaho.
- Tragically, the phenomenally gifted cellist Dmitry Volkov, who would go on to win the Carlo Prieto Cello Competition a month after this performance, passed away sudddenly at the age of 26 due to a cardiac arrythmia.
Did you attend the Heifetz Institute? If so, you’re part of an exclusive group of musicians who have explored their full creative potential through the advanced private lessons, unrivaled concert appearances, and the unique Performance & Communication Training method. We believe that the one-of-a-kind Heifetz training prepares our students to become not only more effective communicators and performers, but also more confident and dynamic in all facets of life. Now we want to reconnect and hear more about how you’ve put your Heifetz experience to use – both on and off stage!
Fast Away The Old Year Passes! The Heifetz Institute has been in the business of helping brilliant young talents blossom for 25 years now, the last two of which have required us to work even harder, smarter, and better to pursue our trailblazing mission. As you consider your year-end giving, please consider supporting our mission to enable the world’s most promising young musical talents to realize their artistic and communicative potential.