- This event has passed.
Heifetz Ensemble In Residence (HEIR) – The Spring Eternal Concert Series – IV: “From Bulgaria to Beethoven”
March 28 @ 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm
Our one and only Heifetz concert of 2020 came last February, when we kicked off The Beethoven Experience with the Borromeo String Quartet, a landmark series devoted to the composer’s 250th birth anniversary. We’ll bring things full circle with a complete performance of the powerful “Serioso” Quartet No. 95, to end the program. In the first half, our HEIR soloist will dazzle and delight with a variety of solo pieces, including the most famous work of classical music ever to come from Bulgaria!
We are thrilled to open the curtain and present live concert music once again in Staunton at the The Blackburn Inn & Conference Center’s Great Hall with this safe and socially-distant series.
There are two ways to enjoy the program:
*Limited Capacity: 50 attendees*
General Admission: $20
“Quartet” (Table for Four): $70
Suggested Donation: $10
Health & Safety Measures
We look forward to welcoming you back to the concert hall. Your safety is paramount to us, and so we ask you to observe the following regulations:
- All reservations must be made in advance; there will be absolutely no admittance without a prior online reservation in order to ensure that we adhere to strict capacity limits.
- Capacity will be limited to 50 in compliance with the statewide Executive Order.
- Concerts will be held in the 3,900 square foot Great Hall, leaving ample space for social distancing of at least six feet between parties – required at all times before, during, and after the event.
- All attendees must wear masks at all times, and double-masking is strongly encouraged.
- All attendees are encouraged to use hand sanitizer upon entrance and use of the restrooms.
- Couples and families may sit together, but observe social distancing from other attendees.
- All chairs and surfaces will be sanitized before and after the performance.
- Enhanced Health & Safety protocols at the Blackburn Inn may be seen here.
Meet the Performers
- Julia Angelov (Heifetz 2019, Heifetz on Tour), violin – Washington, DC
- Zhenni Li-Cohen (Heifetz on Tour, HeifetzPEG Faculty), piano – New York, NY
- Matt Cohen (Heifetz 2012, 2013, Heifetz On Tour, HeifetzPEG Faculty), viola – New York, NY
- Yezu Woo (Heifetz 2014, Heifetz on Tour), violin – Berlin, Germany
- Coleman Itzkoff (Heifetz 2013, Artist in Residence, Heifetz On Tour, HeifetzPEG Faculty), cello – New York, NY
View the Concert Program
“From Bulgaria to Beethoven”
Georgi Zlatev-Cherkin : Sevdana
Julia Angelov, violin; Lynne Mackey, piano
Bartok: Sonata for Solo Violin
I. Tempo Di Ciaccona
Yezu Woo, violin
Sergei Bortkiewicz: Prelude
Traditional Chinese: Xinjiang Dance
Zhenni Li-Cohen, piano
Beethoven: Piano Trio in B-flat, Op. 11
I. Allegro con brio
III. Tema con variazioni (“Pria ch’io l’impegno”: Allegretto)
Matt Cohen, viola; Coleman Itzkoff, cello; Zhenni Li-Cohen, piano
Beethoven: String Quartet No. 11 in F minor, Op. 95 “Serioso”
I. Allegro con brio
II. Allegretto ma non troppo
III. Allegro assai vivace ma serioso
IV. Larghetto espressivo / Allegretto agitato / Allegro
Yezu Woo, violin; Julia Angelov, violin; Matt Cohen, viola; Coleman Itzkoff, cello
Learn more about the inaugural Heifetz Ensemble in Residence