- This event has passed.
Heifetz Ensemble In Residence (HEIR) – The Spring Eternal Concert Series – III: “Kreutzer Sonata”
March 21 @ 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm
Famous in his day, and now almost completely forgotten, Rodolphe Kreutzer was a violinist so accomplished that Beethoven wrote a sonata for him. But, “In a twist of fate, his name ended up on not just one but three major works of art (and many minor ones) that spanned more than 100 years and explored love, murder, religion, social issues, and more.” Reading the Tolstoy novel is up to you, but in this concert you will hear the other two landmarks: Both Beethoven’s masterful “Kreutzer” sonata for violin and piano, as well as the searing string quartet of the same name by Leoš Janáček.
We are thrilled to open the curtain and present live concert music once again in Staunton at the The Blackburn Inn & Conference Center’s Great Hall with this safe and socially-distant series.
There are two ways to enjoy the program:
*Limited Capacity: 50 attendees*
General Admission: $20
“Quartet” (Table for Four): $70
Suggested Donation: $10
Health & Safety Measures
We look forward to welcoming you back to the concert hall. Your safety is paramount to us, and so we ask you to observe the following regulations:
- All reservations must be made in advance; there will be absolutely no admittance without a prior online reservation in order to ensure that we adhere to strict capacity limits.
- Capacity will be limited to 50 in compliance with the statewide Executive Order.
- Concerts will be held in the 3,900 square foot Great Hall, leaving ample space for social distancing of at least six feet between parties – required at all times before, during, and after the event.
- All attendees must wear masks at all times, and double-masking is strongly encouraged.
- All attendees are encouraged to use hand sanitizer upon entrance and use of the restrooms.
- Couples and families may sit together, but observe social distancing from other attendees.
- All chairs and surfaces will be sanitized before and after the performance.
- Enhanced Health & Safety protocols at the Blackburn Inn may be seen here.
Meet the Performers
- Julia Angelov (Heifetz 2019, Heifetz on Tour), violin – Washington, DC
- Zhenni Li-Cohen (Heifetz on Tour, HeifetzPEG Faculty), piano – New York, NY
- Matt Cohen (Heifetz 2012, 2013, Heifetz On Tour, HeifetzPEG Faculty), viola – New York, NY
- Yezu Woo (Heifetz 2014, Heifetz on Tour), violin – Berlin, Germany
- Coleman Itzkoff (Heifetz 2013, Artist in Residence, Heifetz On Tour, HeifetzPEG Faculty), cello – New York, NY
View the Concert Program
Beethoven: Violin Sonata No. 9 in A major, Op. 47 “Kreutzer”
I. Adagio sostenuto – Presto – Adagio
Yezu, Woo, violin; Zhenni Li-Cohen, piano
Janáček: String Quartet No. 1 “Kreutzer Sonata”
I. Adagio – con moto
II. Con moto
III. Con moto – Vivo – Andante
IV. Con moto – (Adagio) – Più mosso
Yezu Woo, violin; Julia Angelov, violin; Matt Cohen, viola; Coleman Itzkoff, cello
Ysaÿe: Sonata No. 3 in D minor, “Ballade”
Julia Angelov, violin
Cesar Franck: Piano Quintet in F minor
II. Lento con moto sentimento
III. Allegro ma non troppo ma con fuoco
Yezu Woo, violin; Julia Angelov, violin; Matt Cohen, viola; Coleman Itzkoff, cello; Zhenni Li-Cohen, piano
Learn more about the inaugural Heifetz Ensemble in Residence