Have you ever dreamed of training with world class musicians while being simultaneously immersed in a stimulating academic and social environment? Imagine having the time to practice, study, and participate in school activities and co-curriculars without frantically working on homework in the car between commitments. Imagine living and learning with a diverse student body of musicians, artists, and creative thinkers from across the country and the world, all in the setting of Virginia’s stunning Shenandoah Valley.
Imagine yourself in Crescendo at Stuart Hall & The Heifetz Institute!
Now enrolling for Fall 2022!
About the Program
Stuart Hall School is a premier Episcopal day and boarding school located in Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley, providing an exceptional college preparatory education for area day students in grades 5 through 12, and boarding students from around the world in grades 8 through 12. The School prepares students of all faiths for success in universities and for engaged lives of curiosity, creativity, and contribution. Through this innovative partnership with the Heifetz International Music Institute, the Crescendo program will offer Stuart Hall’s progressive curriculum alongside intensive music study for violinists, violists, and cellists in an environment that is developmentally appropriate and tailored to the well-being of these exceptional students.
Daily activities include private lessons, chamber music study, studio classes, multimedia training, and the Institutes’ renowned Performance & Communication Training program, which guides musicians to discover their full creative potential and express their individuality not only through technically and intellectually robust music making, but also through emotional and even physical engagement with the music they play.
The Crescendo arena of study includes:
- Monthly lessons/masterclasses and coachings with world–renowned Heifetz Institute Senior Faculty from such institutions as The Juilliard School, New England Conservatory, Cleveland Institute of Music, and the Manhattan School of Music with special expertise in teaching exceptional young musicians
- Two private lessons per week with Heifetz Institute Junior Faculty
- One chamber music coaching per week Heifetz Institute Junior Faculty
- AP Music Theory
- Dedicated and customized Heifetz Performance and Communication Training courses, under the purview of Communication Director Daniel Pettrow. Disciplines include Yoga, Public Speaking, Movement, Media Production, and Freedom of Expression, and will include one online and one in-person session per week.
- Junior and Senior Recitals
- Performance and Touring opportunities with HEIR – the Heifetz Ensemble in Residence and/or Heifetz On Tour
- Significant discounts on sheet music and accessories through the Heifetz Music Store
- Access to master classes, seminars, and other functions presented by the renowned faculty of the Heifetz Institute.
- Preferred enrollment in the Heifetz Institute’s flagship summer programs.
Heifetz Institute Artistic Director Nicholas Kitchen
Stuart Hall School is a premier Episcopal day and boarding school located in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, providing an exceptional college preparatory education for area day students in grades 4 through 12, and boarding students from around the world in grades 8 through 12. Progressive and innovative, the School regularly pushes independent education to the next frontier as it prepares its students for engaged lives of curiosity, creativity, and contribution.
To prepare students of all faiths for success in universities worldwide and for engaged lives of intellectual curiosity, creativity, and contribution.
Stuart Hall will be the school of choice for parents of boarding and day students who want their children to be independent, self-aware, self-directed, and motivated and who — through meaningful, real-world learning experiences — have obtained mastery in knowledge and skills essential for engaged contribution to the world.
Crescendo Senior Faculty
New England Conservatory
Cleveland Institute of Music / Tempest Trio
Yale University School of Music; Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center
Cello Studio II
Eastman School of Music
Cello Studio II
Eastman School of Music
Additional faculty to be announced
- 27th Boarding Students arrive
- 28th Boarder orientation day
- 29th New Student & Family Orientation | All School Picnic
- 30th All School Orientation
- 31st First day of classes
- 5th Labor Day (No Classes)
- 6th Classes with Junior Faculty & Communication Training Faculty begin
- 30th Faculty/Staff Professional Development (No Classes)
- September 28-Oct. 1 Senior Faculty Week: Borromeo String Quartet & Jan Mark Sloman, violin
- 2nd Heifetz Crescendo Series Concert I, featuring Junior & Senior Faculty Artists & Crescendo students
- November 2 – 5 Senior Faculty Week with Ani Kavafian, violin
- 3rd End of First Quarter
- 4th Teacher Work Day (No Classes)
- 6th Heifetz Crescendo Series Concert II, featuring Junior & Senior Faculty Artists & Crescendo students
- 7th Second Quarter begins
- 18th Thanksgiving Break begins at 3:30pm
- 19th Boarder Shuttle to Dulles Airport departs at 6:00am | Dorms close at 12:00pm
- 19th – 28th Thanksgiving Break (No Classes)
- 28th Dorms reopen at 2:00pm, Boarders return by 7:30pm
- 29th Classes resume
- Dec. 1-3 Senior Faculty Week: Nicholas Kitchen, violin; Yeesun Kim, cello
- 4th Heifetz Crescendo Series Concert III, featuring Junior & Senior Faculty Artists and Crescendo students
- 15-20 Heifetz Holiday Tour with Crescendo Young Artists
- 21st Winter Break begins at 3:30pm
- 22nd – Jan. 3rd Winter Break (No Classes) | School offices closed December 23rd – December
- 3rd Dorms reopen at 2:00pm, Boarders return by 7:30pm
- 4th Classes Resume
- 20th End of the First Semester
- 23rd Teacher Work Day (No Classes)
- 17th Faculty/Staff Professional Development Day (No Classes)
- 21st President’s Day (No Classes)
- March 2-4 Senior Faculty Week: Ilya Kaler, violin
- 5th Heifetz Crescendo Series Concert IV, featuring Junior & Senior Faculty Artists and Crescendo students
- 10th Spring Break begins at 3:30pm
- 11th Boarder Shuttle to Dulles Airport departs at 6:00am | Dorms close at 12:00pm
- 11th – 19th Spring Break (No Classes)
- 18th Bach Around The Clock Celebration
- 19th Dorms reopen at 2:00pm, Boarders return by 7:30pm
- 20th Classes resume
- 30th End of the Third Quarter
- 31st Teacher Work Day (No Classes)
- Mar 30 – April 2 Senior Faculty Week: Steven Doane, cello; Rosemary Elliot, cello
- 2nd Heifetz Crescendo Series Concert V, featuring Junior & Senior Faculty Artists Crescendo students
- 10th Easter Monday (No Classes)
- 28th Spring Long Weekend
- May 4-6 Senior Faculty Week: Borromeo String Quartet & Patinka Kopec, violin/viola
- 7th Heifetz Crescendo Series Concert VI, featuring Junior & Senior Faculty Artists And Crescendo students
- 12th End of Term Classes with Junior Faculty & Comm. Training Faculty
- 15th – 17th Student Junior/Senior Recitals
- 18th Loving Cup
- 19th Graduation
- 20th Boarding Seniors depart by 12:00pm
- 24th End of Year Exams (Grades 8-11)
- 26th Special Schedule/Activities (Grades 6-7)
- 26th Last Day of School
- 27th Boarder Shuttle to Dulles Airport departs at 6:00am | Dorms close at 12:00pm
The cost of the program includes the Stuart Hall Tuition plus a $14,000 fee for Crescendo. Financial aid is available.
Stuart Hall Tuition & Fees for the 2022 – 2023 Year are as follows:
Day Student Tuition and Fees
|Grade||Full Tuition||Program Fee||TRP Fee*|
*Tuition Refund Plan Insurance is required unless on a one-installment payment plan. The amount due is 1.9% of a family’s net tuition.
Boarding Student Tuition and Fees
- 7-Day Boarding: $51,975 + $750 program fee (includes PSAT/testing, wellness support services, supplies, school field trips, accident insurance) + $987.53 TRP
- 5-Day Boarding: $41,475 + $750 program fee (includes PSAT/testing, wellness support services, supplies, school field trips, accident insurance) + $788.03 TRP
- First Year: $55,985 + $4,500 program fee for international students in their first year (includes ESL support, wellness support services, testing, supplies, school field trips, international health insurance, transportation to/from airport for school breaks, Thanksgiving and spring break activities, I-20 management) + $1,063.72 TRP
- Second Year: $55,985 + $750 program fee (includes PSAT/testing, wellness support services, supplies, school field trips, international health insurance, transportation to/from airport for school breaks, Thanksgiving and spring break activities, I-20 management) for international students in their second year + $1,063.72 TRP